21 Days of Prayer, Day 3
“Stop doing that.” If you’re a parent, I’m sure you’ve said this before! Stop making that sound, or that face, or poking your sister, or drawing on the wall. Stop. It can be a very freeing thought to eliminate something that you don’t want happening anymore!
As you enter 2019, what’s one thing you should stop doing? Let’s look at the easy options first. The Bible is really clear about things that are on God’s stop doing list. It’s called sin. It’s wrong and harmful no matter who you are. If there’s something you’re up to that’s on His don’t do it list, these are the no-brainers to put on your stop doing list too.
Hebrews 12:1-11 provides great motivation and understanding about throwing off the sin that entangles us. Take a moment and read it through.
- What does this passage provide as motivation for laying aside sin?
- What can we learn from Jesus about laying aside sin?
- What does this teach you about God’s motivation for disciplining you? Does discipline here sound different than punishment? How?
Now, the tough part: is there a sin in your own life you need to throw off? Take time to name what it is to God. Confess it to God, own that you know what it is and that you know it’s sin.
If this has been a big challenge for you, you may need to take some extra steps:
- Is there another Christian in your life you can tell about this sin and your desire to throw it off? There’s power in confessing to another and seeking their prayer and accountability.
- Is there something you need to add or remove from your life so that the temptation of this sin is decreased? If you’re an addict are you actively involved in recovery (like attending meetings) or just hoping for change? If your Netflix binging is interfering with your priorities do you need to cancel the account for a while?
What is God saying? What are you going to do about it?