21 Days of Prayer, Day 172
Yesterday’s post highlighted the amazing statement of Jesus regarding him leaving: “It is to your advantage that I go away,” he said, “for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you” (John 16:7).
Jesus also made this hard to fathom claim: “Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father” (John 14:12).
Have you ever wondered how that’s possible? Amongst many other miracles, Jesus raised a dead man to life. Drop the mic and walk away. How are we ever to do greater works than him? Is it possible that the greater works he promised are works greater in scale not scope. That there would not be any work that surpassed any work of his, but that the spread of the work would far surpass the spread of his ministry?
In Jesus’ final instructions he commands his disciples to “make disciples of all nations” (Matthew 28:19). Under the power of the Holy Spirit— an extension of the presence of Jesus with believers everywhere, the Church has spread across the globe.
Think about the affects of the Church. Besides the greatest work of the salvation of human souls, Christians are largely responsible for:
- The formation of hospitals and medical care
- The arts
- Abolition of slavery
- Teaching institutions
- The movement of democracy and western civilization was built upon a Christian worldview and is incompatible with any other.
Think of the worlds greatest companies. Apple, Google, Walmart. They will someday cease. The Church will not.
This is not because we are so amazing. Christians have also failed to live up to the standard of our Savior in many ways. Yet the Spirit-enabled Church is God’s instrument for proclaiming the Kingdom of God.
Will you pray:
- For a powerful outpouring of the Holy Spirit in the life of our church.
- That Lake Nona and beyond would be powerfully engaged by believers with the gospel.
- That God would lay a foundation in 2019 for a movement of growing churches across Central Florida.